There are some basic rules to keep in mind when you are on the Internet:
- NEVER put pictures of yourself online.
- NEVER use your last name.
- NEVER say where you live (street, city, area).
- NEVER enter a chat room.
- NEVER respond to threatening email or messages.
- ALWAYS tell an adult (parent or teacher) about scary messages, chats, emails,or other communications.
- TELL your parents about any ‘new’ friends you meet online.
Parents, there are some simple things you can do to help keep kids safe:
- Monitor what your child is doing online. Keep your computer in a ‘high traffic’ area.
- Have your child show you what they like to do online.
- Sit with your child as they play games, chat, email, etc.
- TALK constantly about online safety.
- Install child safety software on computers, phones, iPads, iPods, tablets, etc.
- Open communication at all times.